Click here to download our Lion Sands e-Brochure
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL TO LION SANDS
An all-year-round safari destination where the variation in experience is temperature-related rather than safari-related as we do not have any migratory species. The best bird-watching period is from October to April.
|05h30||Tea/coffee and game drive departs||06h30|
|08h30||Game drive returns, breakfast/brunch is served||09h30|
|At leisure||Bush walk or activities of personal preference||At leisure|
|16h30||Game drive departs||16h00|
|19h30||Game drive returns and dinner follows||19h00|
* Summer is from September to April, while Winter is from May to August
Tipping/ Gratuities are entirely voluntary. We have however provided an outline of a recommended tipping policy for the convenience of those guests seeking guidance:
- ZAR 600.00 per room per day
- (ZAR 200.00 guide; ZAR 100.00 tracker; ZAR 200.00 general staff; ZAR 100.00 butler)
There are laundry facilities at each of the lodges at Lion Sands. It must be remembered that each is a ‘bush laundry’, and it is therefore not recommended to send in delicate items that require specialised care.
Laundry baskets are provided in each room, along with a laundry list. We ask that lists and laundry are left in the rooms prior to the early morning game drive, which will enable us to return the items in the afternoon.
Laundry is charged as an extra, and may be settled with extras of departure.
Lion Sands Game Reserve is located in a malaria area, and we suggest you discuss anti-malarial prophylactics with your health practitioner before travelling.
WHAT TO PACK FOR YOUR SAFARI VISIT:
- Medication as required including anti-malaria precautions
- Sun hat, sunglasses and high SPF sunscreen (even in winter)
- Sturdy walking shoes as well as light sandals (ideal for summer September – April)
- Comfortable, light colored clothing
- Swimwear if desired
- Contact lens solution, glasses if applicable
- Scarves, headgear and warm jacket for winter (May – August)
- Camera, video camera, spare batteries/charger cable
- Book or e-reader
- Binoculars if desired
- Light sweater for evenings in summer or midday in winter
- Relaxed, comfortable clothing to wear around the lodge
WEATHER AT LION SANDS GAME RESERVE
The average mean rainfall for the year is 350mm, with most rainfall occurring during mid-summer (November – February). The rainfall generally occurs in the form of thunderstorms where a downpour is experienced, very seldom lasting longer than a few hours. The mean average maximum temperatures range from 24.5°C/76°F in July to 31.5°C/88.7°F in January with the mean monthly minimum occurring in July at a temperature of 8.5°C/47.5°F.